Asian Coleslaw & Wheat Tortillas

By Maya & Jasmine

Recently the Grade 3 & 4 students have made a delicious Asian Coleslaw with their very own tortillas using Stephanie Alexander’s recipe.

The 3 & 4 students had to cut up beetroot, ½ a cabbage and red onion. We also had carrots and the students grated them. As well as cutting the beetroot students also had to grate it.  We harvested the carrot and the beetroot from our MiPod kitchen garden where we planted the seeds, watered, fed and cared for them.

To top off the coleslaw the students made a lovely dressing. To make the dressing they used garlic, ¼ cup of lime juice, 1  tablespoon of rice vinegar, ⅓ cup of fish sauce (although this is probably too much fish sauce!), ½ cup of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Then all of those ingredients went into a bowl and the students stirred it.

To make the dish 10 times better the students got to make their own tortillas! Some students made the dough while we were cutting and got small dough balls ready. Then we simply needed to roll them out to 2mm thick circles to use as our tortillas. When the students were done rolling out their dough ball they had to put it in a electric fry pan to cook it. It was a LOT of fun! The student got to flip their tortilla and put it on their plate.  

Then after the tortillas were cooked the students had to clean up. Then it was eating time! Most students liked the crispy, fresh coleslaw but a few didn’t as the fish sauce was quite strong! Everyone definitely liked the tortillas though.    IMG_0610IMG_0603

Published by

Mr H

I am a Year 3/4 teacher at the greatest school in the world!!

3 thoughts on “Asian Coleslaw & Wheat Tortillas”

1. Thanks for sharing this recipe Mipod. I remember sampling this beetroot salad and I thought it was very delicious. I told my family all about it and now, thanks to your blog post I will be able to make it at home for them to enjoy. Fantastic work!
    Mr Ramage

2. Awesome work Mipod, it sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try this next week with the next group of master chefs. Thanks for the recap Maya and Jas 🙂